The word “Chakra” is an ancient Indian Sanskrit word – meaning “Wheel” or “Vortex” which refers to the 7 main or energy centers of which our consciousness, our energy system is comprised of. These chakras function as pumps or valves, regulating the flow of energy through our energy system.
The functioning of the chakras reflects decision we make concerning how we choose to respond to conditions in our life. When a Chakra accumulates negative energy the other Chakras overcompensate for the blockage and your entire system becomes unbalanced. Blocked energy in our Chakras can have a negitive influence on the physical, emotional or mental self. This can eventually lead to disease (diss-ease) and illness on a physical, mental or emotional level.
Charkas are not physical, they are aspects of the consciousness. However each Chakra also relates to an important endocrine gland in the physical body. So it’s important to understand what each Chakra represents and what can be done to keep this energy flowing freely. Here’s a quick summary of each chakra and how they represent particular parts of the physical together with the consciousness:
1. Base, Kundalini or Root Chakra “Muladhara”– Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
2. Sacral Chakra “Svadhisthana”– Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Colour: Red
- Consciousness: Security and Survival issues, trust and financial independence. Ability to be grounded. Mindfulness. A connection with your mother, mother earth and the physical body.
- Endocrine gland: Adrenal
- Affects: Lymph system, skeletal system, Lower pelvis, hips, legs and feet.
- Element: Earth.
- Sense: Smell.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra “Manipura”– Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
- Location: Lower abdomen, just below the navel.
- Colour: Orange
- Consciousness: Sense of abundance, self worth, pleasure, sexuality. The relationship with food & sex. A willingness to feel emotions.
- Endocrine gland: Gonads
- Affects: Reproductive system, kidneys, lower back and colon.
- Element: Water.
- Sense: Taste.
4. Heart Chakra “Anahta” – Our ability to love.
- Location: Upper abdomen just below the Ribcage.
- Colour: Yellow
- Consciousness: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- Endocrine gland: Pancreas
- Affects: Adrenals, digestion, liver, middle back.
- Element: Fire.
- Sense: Seeing.
5. Throat Chakra “Visuddha” – Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Center of chest.
- Colour: Green.
- Consciousness: Love, joy, inner peace, unconditional love.
- Endocrine gland: Thymus
- Affects: Heart, lungs, middle and upper back, arms and legs.
- Element: Air.
- Sense: Touch.
6. Brow or Third Eye Chakra “Ajna”– Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Throat.
- Colour: Sky blue.
- Consciousness: Communication, self-expression of feelings, trust, the truth.
- Endocrine gland: Thyroid
- Affects: Ears, nose and throat.
- Element: Ether.
- Sense: Hearing.
7. Crown Chakra “Sahasrara”– The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. Maintains overall balance of the Chakra system.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes.
- Colour: Indigo
- Consciousness: Intuition, perception, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
- Endocrine gland: Pituitary
- Affects: eyes and head, mid and upper back.
- Element: Inner sound.
- Sense: Extra Sensory Perception .
- Location: Just above the top of the head
- Colour: Violet
- Consciousness: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, a sence of wholeness. The connection with your father in heaven and the one on this earth.
- Endocrine gland: Pineal.
- Affects: The brain and the entire nervous system.
- Element: White light.
- Sense: Empathy, unity.